I was recently asked to guest co-host a chat on Twitter and to suggest a theme.. Each Monday at 3pm EST- 8pm UK time #travelpics is a hashtag used to chat and share travel photographs. It was founded by Kathryn a travel photo journalist with the Twitter name of @AntiTourist and also @travelpicsCHAT The community is building with a diverse range of people who all share the same passion for travel and photography.
I decided on the theme for my co-hosting to be “Waterscapes” as we live on a planet where 71% of the Earth`s surface is covered with salt water from the oceans and all the water on Earth is made up of 97.5% sea water with the remaining 2.5% being freshwater lakes, rivers and water locked up in ice as glaciers and the polar ice caps (almost 69% of the freshwater on Earth is ice).
I chose the theme waterscapes as water is one of my favourite subjects to photograph as it comes in so many different forms.
Water makes for great reflection shots on still days.
Water photographed with slow exposures adds a magical feel.
I was once commissioned to take aerial photographs of an island in the Maldives, which entailed me hanging out of the open door sat on the rail attached by a rope. Well worth the adrenalin rush to see the islands from the air.
Earlier this year I spent a month photographing in Myanmar (Burma) where the iconic U Bein Bridge spans 1.2 km across Taungthaman Lake.
The lake itself had fantastic photo opportunities with this shot of the boat crossing the lake before sunrise being one of my favourites.
Inle Lake is the second largest lake in Myanmar and has an estimated surface area of 45 square miles (116km squared). I fell in love with this place as it had a cooler climate than the other places I had photographed and was also a photographers dream as it was so unique with the leg rowing fisherman of the lake.
This one of my favourite shots from the trip.
I am looking forward to taking my photographer guests on the lake in November when I host my Digital Photography Holidays
The subject of waterscapes proved a very popular Twitter topic as it had a record number of #travelpics tweets and trended for a number of hours which is no surprise as we live on such a watery planet and over 50% of our body is made up of water.
The chat was great fun and there was some fantastic photography shared. Thanks to @AntiTourist for inviting me and to co-hosts @wheretogoAM, @AVacationADay, @poonamparihar, and @Sihpromatum.
I host travel photography holidays to some of my favourite locations, further details can be found here; http://www.digitalphotographyholidays.com
“May the light be with you”